Monday, September 20, 2010

A Different kind of Never Never land.....

Many of us have grown up listening to and appreciating fairy tales......
One of my favorites... originates in the 1904.. J.M. Barrie classic tale of
Peter Pan.
The boy...who won’t grow up....and travels to the Utopian
world of NeverNever land... the place in the fairy tale.

Recently, however, I have realized that many people actually live there:
that....this is not a make believe place in a fairy tale, but a very real
place ...and I am not referring to the...Late Michael Jackson’s California
compound.
Actually...all of us live there... to a certain degree, but perhaps... we
don’t realize it. We live there every time we say a sentence or something
that begins with the words....“I would never”....and we all do it...

Sometimes we verbalize it and other times we just think it to
ourselves..for many of us...this represents a boundary we won’t
cross or a moral value we must live by or a chance we won’t take..or a
new thought direction we won’t consider..

God Forbid...changing a political party...or attending a tea party...oh..that’s Alice in Wonderland.. on magic pills............

It’s a belief structure that internally guides us, sometimes unconsciously
and when we utter it...we are actually demonstrating that we do,in fact,
live, at times, in NeverNever land.....but where is it leading?...Do we really ever examine its root cause or challenge it...or even ask our self why we believe this or that?..

I was reminded of this reality recently... while out on a date with a
woman from NJ, who spends a lot of time in South Florida.
As we got to talking, she started to tell me the things she would never do...it almost became a laundry list...

She said...
I would never...go out with someone who isn’t Jewish.
I would never go out with someone Latino
I would never date someone Black.
I would never date someone who has a cat”
.....and this continued for a few more choice reasons...

I sat back and I began to realize that.... I could never be with her... or even date her again....(see..I said it too...shame on me)......... Because she has way too many Never’s in her life.....imagine if I had asked her if she wanted to have sex with me on the first date?.. Probably never happen...

It’s serious and it’s an epidemic in so many facets of our life...that
sometimes we have to take stock in what we are actually saying never
to.... and maybe take a pause to consider the positive aspects in
actually reconsidering our positions...in so many areas...whether it be
in relationships, or business...or our political beliefs...or wherever our
own nevers are leading us.....or have led us...

Oh....and... I figured out ....the best way out of NeverNever land!!!...
All you have to do is to click your heels together and say....
I would.....3 times.....rayray

2 comments:

  1. YES! - the magic word. I've been trying to make this the time of YES, lately, and, honestly, it's been a bit of a struggle. There's this little voice of suspicion and fear sitting on my little shoulder making sure that nothing untoward gets past my own personal Gnomeland Security. Habits are hard to break. However, I AM making progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment gagashead...that's very encouraging to hear..and of course you are quite humorous in how you express it..you're definitely a closet comedian!!
    .yes is always harder to do.... because yes ..leads us to make a committment of sorts..while no or never is so much easier to do....however no or never always leads us right back to where we were ..and requires no committment at all..with no growth possible...rr

    ReplyDelete